As a host, the goal of a good party is to throw one your guests are going to both enjoy at the time and remember after it’s all over. While a costume party on its own is always a popular idea, it’s always better to have a theme that encourages your guests to come fully dressed up and ready to let loose in the spirit of the occasion. A Pimp & Ho costume party is that rare type of celebration to unite provocative costumes with boisterous energy for a guaranteed good time.
You’re simply not allowed to attend a Pimp & Ho costume party without fully dressing up. Tucking a feather in a baseball cap and donning a long coat just will not cut it. You need to prepare a full ensemble, along with some unique ideas up your sleeve. Here are ten costume suggestions that you or your guests can use to come up with their own streetwise costume.
For the Pimps:
1. Colors – For pimps, clashing colors is the key to success. A purple suit with a green shirt or a green suit with a pink hat, whatever you choose, it should stand out because the pimp that wears a boring color like dark blue or black isn’t going to be ruling the streets any time soon. But remember, the suit jacket always has to match the pants, and every accessory has to have a matching color elsewhere. Pimps are nothing if not consistent.
2. Accessories – Besides the suit, hat, and feather that are standard for any pimp costume, there are other clothing pieces that add to the ensemble. “Gators,” or shoes that are made from what looks like alligator skin, are clearly a must and if you can add tinted glasses, that’s also a boost for your outfit. It’s important to note that despite their occupation, pimps are always clean. There are no smudges on the pimp outfit, nor are there any wrinkles. Everything you wear needs to be crisp and sharp for maximum effect.
3. Furs – That’s right, if you can get some dead animal on you, you are bound to show off some true pimpness. A fur scarf, maybe some fur lining on your long jacket and you’re all set. In addition, pimps love silk, so keep that in mind when picking out your threads.
4. Jewelry – Bling is mandatory. Full gold chains, gold teeth, rings on your fingers; it all needs to be there if you want to fully display your pimp style. Pimping is an art form, and like any great composition, it is the small details that make the picture come together. Don’t forget the pimp canes as well. Every pimp needs to have his cane.
5. Extras – The true pimp goes beyond these basic ideas, because he’s too pimp to follow conformity. If you want to add some extra pimp to your style, you can always wear one single glove for smacking your hos around, complete with baby powder all across the surface. You can also add a mirror that faces upwards on the bottom of your cane that pimps use to examine the “merchandise.” The key to being a true pimp is to think of all the little things the pimp needs to do his job, because as we all know, pimping ain’t easy.
And Now, the Hos
6. Dress and Shoes – Hos don’t wear expensive, sexy cocktail dresses. High-class prostitutes wear cocktail dresses. Hos wear dresses they bought at Value Village. Make sure you’re wearing a gown that screams “cheap” along with showing a whole lot of skin. Hos don’t dress all that nicely, so feel free and wrinkle your dress up as you see fit. The only rule with colors is that you are never, ever supposed to match your pimp. As far as shoes go, don’t just think “heels,” think “ridiculous heels.” The taller they make you, the better off you are.
7. Hair – Hos don’t always wear their real hair. If you want to be a true ho, you may need to pop on a wig made out of a hair that is a different color than yours. Bright colors like pink, green and white are okay.
8. Jewelry and Accessories – Hos can’t wear too many accessories because they don’t want them stolen or uncomfortably scratching the customers. Some large hoop earrings are fine, and long, fake nails are authentic ho material.
9. Makeup – Smudged wherever and whenever possible. After all, ho-ing is a messy job.
10. Bonuses – If you want to go all out with your Ho outfit, you can always add blush on only one cheek and a handprint made of baby powder. You can add the tattered stockings or the black eye, the creativity is up to you.
Not just anyone can be a pimp or ho this Halloween, the status has to be earned with an eye-popping and dynamic costume. By following the tips above, you’ll be well on your way to the top in a highly competitive Pimp & Ho market. Pimps, be sure to keep that hand strong and no matter what happens, always remember the best ho is one who rakes in the ducats.